With everything that’s going on in the world right now, most people’s anxiety levels are at an all-time high. Regularly taking some time out to get your mind, body, and soul right is more important than ever, and while “self-care” has become a buzz term, its necessity shouldn’t be denied. A wise man once said “you can’t pour from an empty cup”, so finding time to take extra care of yourself, even if it’s only for 30 minutes a day, is a must (especially if your day to day schedule has changed dramatically over the last few weeks). Make a conscious decision to carve out more time in your schedule to step away from your work and do the little things that make you happy and feel more balanced. Your mental health will thank you for it.
If you’ve been wanting to step up your self-care game, here are 10 simple (and budget friendly) self-care ideas you can practice right now.
- Sleep in an extra hour and read the paper instead of scrolling your IG feed when you first get up.
- Do an at-home mani + pedi with your favorite DVDs or playlist on in the background.
- Light candles, turn on some soft music, and take a relaxing bubble bath.
- Whether you pray to Buddha or the Gods of Fashion, take an hour to journal, pray or meditate to help clear your head.
- Face scrubs and masks can instantly change your mood. DIYs are always fun, but if that’s too much, just grab a few different sheet masks from Walgreens and try a new one every few days.
- Netflix and Chill all by your lonesome (don’t forget the popcorn).
- Schedule a virtual coffee date with an old friend or family member.
- Sit outside in the sun, on your porch or find your favorite place in your home where you can sip your cup of jo and not be disturbed for 20-30 minutes.
- If it’s warm enough, grab a blanket, pack a lunch, and head to your backyard or patio to lie out and read your favorite book while you relax for a bit.
- Spend 15 minutes stretching and doing a light yoga flow before you get started on your day or to help you wind down.