COVID has thrown a wrench in so many plans, including simple pleasures as going to get a mani or pedi on the fly. While Memphis is at a point where it’s safe to go and get your nails done again (hey Nail Bar & Co!),not everyone feels comfortable going to the nail bar even with all of the precautions in place. With that being said, your tootsies still need some self-care (especially if you’ve been wearing flip flops and sandals all day)! You can still get a salon worthy pedicure at home: you just have to take your time and follow these simple DIY steps.
DIY PEDICURE AT HOME
*What you need:
- Nail Polish Remover
- Cotton Pads
- Cuticle Oil
- Basin (or bathtub)
- Epsom Salt or Bath Bomb
- Foot File or Pumice Stone
- Foot Scrub
- Foot Cream
- Cuticle Remover
- Nail kit (nail clippers, cuticle pusher, nail file and nail buffer)
- Toe separators
- Polish: base coat, fave color polish, top coat
Fill foot bath with really warm, soapy water (make it as hot as you can stand); add Epson Salt or your foot soak for a little extra care.
- Remove old polish from toes, then soak feet for 15-30 minutes (you’re relaxing, remember?)
- Scrub feet to help exfoliate the skin. Don’t forget your ankles and lower legs!
- Use circular motions to remove any rough patches with foot file or pumice stone (scrubbing back + forth will remove dead skin but your foot won’t be smooth). Pay close attention to your heels.
- Apply cuticle remover, and then use a double sided cuticle pusher to push back cuticles + to remove any old polish/skin off the nail bed that the nail polish remover missed (THIS is the step that nail techs do that help make your nails super smooth. Once I picked up this tool I saw a huge difference in my nails).
- Apply cuticle oil and/or foot balm. Rub in for 3-5 minutes.
- Clip nails to desired length, then use a nail buffer to smooth and remove any ridges.
- Swipe nails with polish remover (to remove oil from nailbed)
- Apply base coat + nail polish + topcoat.
- Watch an episode of your favorite Netflix show while nails dry.
*Nail Bar & Co also sells an At Home Pedicure Kit if you don’t want to go searching for all of the products listed above.
Click here to shop all of their kits, or pop into their Saddle Creek location at 7615 W Farmington Blvd, Suite 31, Germantown, TN 38138.